Monday, October 10, 2011

The Visitor

One of the most difficult things about leaving Kentucky was not being there for the stray kitties I would feed on the front porch. However, since Ted is still in Kentucky finishing up some work projects and taking care of the yard until the house sells, he is able to feed this visitor that has been around for months.

Several of the cats I took care of, kept, or found homes for belonged to a bad pet owner who lives in the next court over from us. She gets kittens for her kids, and then when they are grown, they are put outside to take care of themselves. I think she has since moved, but her poor decisions have left cats to find food and shelter. It makes me sick!

These two pictures are actually two different cats. Inky, shown below, was one of her cats. I know this because Inky is microchipped, and while she didn't bother to register the cat in her name, I was able to track the chip to the shelter that put it in Inky. They looked through their records and told me who adopted the cat, and yes, it was my lousy neighbor.

Inky is a super friendly cat, and I was able to bring him into our family with no problems. However, the Inky lookalike - whom I'm sure was Inky's sibling - has become feral and won't let us touch him.


Isn't it amazing how much they look alike - down to the black spot on the face! I feel so sorry for our visitor, but I'm glad Ted is able to continue feeding him. I hope when he moves here, one of our neighbors will continue that task. We still have our cat shelter on the woodpile, so when winter arrives, there is a place for the visitor to go.

This is also a good opportunity to remind people to spay and neuter their pets. There are too many stray dogs and cats in this world. Try wrapping your brain around the fact that FOUR MILLION cats and dogs are put down in U.S. shelters each year. FOUR MILLION - one every eight seconds! Such a tragedy, and we can do something about it. Bob Barker told you, and in addition to his message, if you are thinking of getting a pet, adopt one from a local shelter. Let's put the puppy and kitty mills out of business.


3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Hi Laura,

It's a never ending problem. My little granddaughter's stupid family has cats that just breed and breed (a dog too). Then they given them away or the poor cats just disappear. It's really difficult to teach Alissa why animals should be spayed/neutered. She keeps asking me "why don't you like kittens". Hopefully when she's older, she'll understand.

And don't even get me started on my idiot neighbor with a dog in a pen/solitary confinement 24/7 that I buy straw for every winter....

Da tabbies said...

We hope this kitteh finds a good forever loving home once
Mr S leeves. :(

High paws N headbonks Ted for lookin after de kitteh in de furst place.

Nikolai said...

Laura,
I don't know if you want to go through the effort, but I suspect if you trap Doppel Inky, he would be friendly once captured. Of the fifteen cats Danielle and I trapped over the span of two years, all of them ended up being friendly once we brought them inside. Even the ones who ran from us when they were outside. If he came from the same rescue as Inky, that rescue would likely take him back. -Amy