Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Oh Deary Deer!

Yesterday our sweet baby deer spent the entire day in our side yard which was shady (you can see the gate in the upper right corner).


Ted and I were doing mulch right around the corner from this, and we heard a big deer snort noise. Little did we know until we saw the baby's location that Mama deer was trying to distract us and keep us away from him.

I was concerned because he stayed there all day - without eating! I checked last night before going to bed, and he was gone. I guess Mama came and got him for his nightly nursing. This morning he was in the side yard between our house and the neighbor's house. Once the sun hit that area, he moved, and I didn't see him the rest of the day. I'm hoping he beds down in the wooded area where it is a little cooler.

Isn't he sweet?


1 comment:

Grace McLean said...

I read that mommy deers leave their young unattended, sometimes all day, while they go to look for food. Usually they try to hide them a little better though! I am sure there is nothing to worry about.