Friday, April 30, 2010

Red, Red Roses

It was a gorgeous day, so Ted met me this evening for dinner at Qdoba. It felt great to sit outside and soak in some sun! Tomorrow is the Kentucky Derby, and for the past few years, we stop in at Kroger to see the ladies working on the garland of roses that is presented to the winner.

The outer rose petals of each rose are removed, and put in baggies for anyone who comes to watch them work their magic!

This is a replica of the trophy that is presented to the owner.

They work right up until the wee hours of the morning completing the garland.


Each rose is in its own vial of water, and the vials are hand sewn into the blanket.



Don't forget to watch the 136th Run for the Roses tomorrow!






4 comments:

vwestermeyer said...

Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't even thought of how this was put together but I am glad I do now. What a fun thing to see.

Snowdrops said...

Thankyou Laura... years ago a much younger and thinner me use to ride work race horses in England. I still love the horses and the traditions ... good times..wonderful memories.

Pegasus said...

this is great. maybe I'll go next year.

A New England Life said...

I can't figure out how the vials don't hurt the horse. There must be something I'm not understanding, but that's not surprising. LOL!

What a job!!!