Friday, December 4, 2009

A Blast From the Past

I was watching Martha Stewart yesterday and they were making Christmas trees from magazines. Boy, did that bring back memories! Did you ever make one from a Reader's Digest?

Well, I don't have any Reader's Digest sitting around, so I grabbed a Best Friends Animal Society magazine and whipped out this tree in no time!

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it is covered in clear sparkly glitter. I added a ribbon that has gold and silver stars hanging from it. This tree will be the Red Hot centerpiece at our holiday get together next week.

This is a great project for kids - they can do it while they watch television, or while they watch you bake cookies. Martha has instructions on her website to which I linked above, but here is a quick visual if you work better that way.

1. Take a magazine - one with sturdier paper works better.

2. Fold each page down to form a right triangle.

3. Fold that triangle one more time - lining it up with the left edge.

4. When each page gets folded twice, you will have a little piece hanging out at the bottom.


5. Fold that little piece up - even with the bottom edge of your double folded triangle.


6. The little piece you just folded up needs to be tucked inside the double folded triangle.

7. Here is how it will look. I went through and folded each page once, then went back and did the second fold, and then did the triangle piece last. I think you could do it either way - complete each page, or go through the entire magazine three times.

When you are finished with all the folding, it will naturally span out in a tree shape. Take spray adhesive glue - do it outside - spray the tree and sprinkle with glitter. Spray painting the tree gold would be pretty too.

Have fun!



5 comments:

Andora said...

That is just the coolest thing...Great idea...thanks for sharing..

Nancy Medina said...

Is Martha Steward your favorite program Laura??? hehe heheeh sorry, couldn't resist. I wanted to thank you for the beautiful Calvin card, I love it and it is hanging right here in my studio.
hugs...

Always Autumn in my heart said...

Talk about A Blast From The Past for me too!! As a little girl my mom and I would spend hours folding the little tv guides to make trees to decorate the house. They always turned out so pretty!

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi laura!
oh my gosh! your tree is fabulous!
thank you for the tutorial!
i will have to try this!
xoxoxo
m & e

Mikki said...

So cute! It came out really well too. I'll have to give my girls this project next week while they're on winter break!