Monday, November 9, 2009

Hotel S

I have no tolerance for people who are cruel to animals. And part of that cruelty includes people who leave their cats outside all winter to fend for themselves. I have neighbors that shouldn't own pets. And because I can't keep every stray or neighbors' cats that need homes, I do my best to help them out.

Last winter our woodpile that held a makeshift cat shelter fell over. So, this winter I wanted to do it right for those poor kitties who have no place to go when it is freezing with snow on the ground.

This website shows an easy-to-make winter shelter for feral cats. Here is the finished shelter - which I have named Hotel S - the S for stray, and also my last name!

I lined the inside of the smaller container with this very inexpensive emergency blanket which looks similar to aluminum foil. It is supposed to take the heat from your body and keep you warm, so I'm hoping it works.

The Hotel is two containers, one inside the other. I used fleece to line the inner container. The foil is under the fleece.


The entire inner container is surrounded by polystyrene which can be purchased at Home Depot.


Here is Hotel S in place - a new roof was installed on the woodpile and the tarp completely covers the container.


Of course, there is a ramp to get to the hotel.


We have our first guest! This is Vivien - a stray that has been sleeping in my garage at night. She was in the woods and watched me put the hotel in place. Later this afternoon, I saw her going back to check it out. At least she will have a place to get out of the rain.

I'm still hoping to find a forever home for Vivien. She is super sweet and cuddly, uses a litterbox with no problems, and needs a home before winter gets here! If you are in the Louisville, Kentucky, area, please spread the word!


14 comments:

Scrap-n-Crap said...

What a fantastic person you are...as if we didn't know that already. I know your love of animals comes from very deep inside. Love your compassion and your first Hotel S is GREAT!

amilyn said...

Great job!

Darlene said...

Oh Laura I am sooooo with you on the cruelty to animals! You know we adopted our outside kitty because a neighbor wouldn't take care of her. She now gets plenty of food, water and vet care and a soft bed in a warm garage to sleep when it is cold outside. We also have lots of outdoor sheltered areas that she can get to with warm, dry blankets and pillows to lay on in the carport.

I LOVE your Hotel S. What a fabulous idea for those poor kitties.

Vivien is so gorgeous and I'm so glad she has already found the shelter. I do hope that she gets a forever home where somewill will love and care for her. I could end up someday being the crazy cat lady if I don't watch out!!!!!...lol

Darlene said...

Oops should have proofread.....it should say where someone will love and care for her.

Diana said...

Wow, how fancy. Yours came out much neater than mine and I just used straw to insulate the inner tub. I have some fleece so I think I will use your idea and line the inside with that over the straw. Your neighbor kitties are lucky to have you. Vivien is a beautiful little girl.

Mom of Edgar and Emily said...

That is a fabulous hotel! You are a cat angel. Vivien is so beautiful. She probably thinks you built it just for her. ;~)

Mikki said...

That is pretty cool Laura! You are such a sweetie. An animal angel for sure!!
I hope you'll soon be able to find a home for that gorgeous kitty.

Andora said...

You are a good cat person...and so am I..I can't stand it when people don't take care of their animals..when I see abuse and neglect I report it...They sure take care of people here that treat their animals bad,it gets in the paper and fines the whole 9 yards...

Snowdrops said...

You are a very special soul... thankyou for doing what you do. We all have to do the best we can to offset the pond slime of this world .

Be Well my friend... Vixen is so beautiful... so hoping she finds a forever home.

Teebo and Callie's Mom said...

Hotel S is open for business and better than ever. Great job!

Klancy said...

Dear Miss Vivien,
yoo r one xtreemly gud lookin puss cat. I wiss yoo wax closur to me. I'd take u oot fore a fuss dinna.

Klancy

Donna said...

Laura, I found you through A New England Life and after reading thrugh several posts I just love you and your blog. This is the sweetest hotel ever. How I wish there wasn't a need for it, as you do. You're a doll to do this for the poor fur babies who are seeking shelter!... Donna

William H said...

Hi Laura.I don,t write comments on things that I read about but I had to share this with you.My wife(Brenda)and I don't go away from home to often as it is very hard to get someone to come and stay at our home to be with our dog and cat.Boot's the cat and Bucky the dog.We don't like to leave them out in the weather even in the day time.But after seeing what you did,I took a older Cat crate and a Dog crate sealed all the holes added blankets and pillows and put them in the wood shed.(So they are out of the Rain and Snow.)Brenda and I feel like we can go away from time to time and know that Boots and Bucky are ok in the day time and are put in the house at night and let out in the mourning.and we don't have to have someone stay at the house all the Time.Thanks. Bill

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear there is someone out there that cares so much. You are an angel. I have two black strays myself that I try to feed. I have a dog and he is the king of our castle. I pray for those cats that someone will feel sorry for them and take them in. I live in Detroit and it gets very cold at night.