Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Huh? Moment!


Well, Oprah may have her Aha moments, but something I experienced last week left me saying, huh?

We are getting a new roof put on the house. We currently have a gutter cover system that we have not been too pleased with because Ted has still had to get on a ladder and occasionally clean out clogs.


So, I called Gutter Magician to get a quote on their product. They are advertised on our local radio station all the time, and I was impressed by what I saw on their website. Their receptionist told me their salesperson would like to sit down with both Ted and myself, and I told her that was not going to happen. Ted is not about to take off work to listen to some guy tell him about gutter systems!

Because they will not just come out and give you a quote without talking to you, I had an appointment last Wednesday at 1:00 p.m.. At 2:00 p.m. I get a phone call telling me the salesperson would not be coming because they got tied up with the previous customer.

Annoyance sets in.

The guy on the phone apologizes and wants to know if they can come out the next day at the same time. He promised the guy would be on time. I asked if they could just come out and measure and give me a quote, and he said, We can't do that because it would be trespassing.

?????? sets in.

The next day, the what-I-thought-was-the-salesperson showed up on time. We sat outside on the front porch, and the first thing he asks me is if my husband is also home. I told him no, and that I told their receptionist that I would be the only one they were going to meet. He went around and checked the current state of the gutters and came back with a report telling me blah, blah, blah, some spots pulling away, blah, blah, blah, overspillage, etc.

He then said he wouldn't be able to continue showing me the product or giving a quote until he could sit down with both of us.

WHAT???????

It is company policy that they won't sell you anything unless they have talked to both homeowners. I told him that was the dumbest company policy I had ever heard about. He mentioned some crap about community property state which was a bunch of baloney. He also wanted to know if I had permission to make decision that day? PERMISSION?

Let's just say the next ten minutes was spent with me telling him that I couldn't believe they could even get business of any kind with a company policy like that. He then proceeded to tell me that he worked in the warehouse and all the other salespeople were busy that day, so they sent him out to my house.

I completely wasted two days on trying to give my money to this company. Apparently, they have enough business in this economy that they don't need my money.

I hope you don't need clog-free gutters. If you do, I hope you have a better magician than this company!


6 comments:

Andora said...

That is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard...what is wrong with those people..If I never got gutters I wouldn't get them from that company...good luck with the next one...Like you said they don't want to sell any...

Phyllis said...

Oh my gosh - you've GOT to be kidding!???! That type of crap burns me up. It's not like you have a bunch of time to waste. And PERMISSION???? I would have gone straight for his throat!

Mikki said...

That's insane! I think a strongly worded letter to the head of the company is in order. Then again, why waste your time?

Pegasus said...

WOW! 'nuff said.

Darlene said...

WHAATT???? That sounds like the biggest bunch of bologny I have EVER heard! And PERMISSION in this day and age..CRAZY!!!

Snowdrops said...

Wax doll with tin of pins on its way........

~!@#$%^&*()_+%^&*()_)(*&