Monday, August 10, 2009

One Cool Aunt!

My header design this month includes pictures of my Aunt Phyllis. She was my Mom's twin sister, and more like a second mother to me. She is on the left in the photo below. It took quite awhile before I could tell them apart in pictures, and many times on the phone I didn't know which one I was talking to. They were so identical that it was scary at times!


Phyllis was Foo-Foo to me because I couldn't pronouce Phyllis when I was little. I usually called her Foof. She was the single-until-she-was-50 aunt who lived in New York City and worked for the Rockefeller Foundation. She was my Mary Tyler Moore aunt, my That Girl aunt.

The most valuable thing she taught me was how to use tampons. I know, that sounds so stupid, but think about it. It ranks right up there with some of the most important stuff you need to know how to do! She bought me cool Christmas presents - like hose in every color of the rainbow . . . . . . back in the day when colored hose was cool.

She loved to travel and visited relatives in Australia which made her extra cool. I love the picture of her with the Delta airplane. Those were the days when you walked on the runway to get to the plane . . . . . when you could stay in the terminal and wave from the window until the plane was out of sight.

Of course, she was an animal lover too. She had cool cats - like Jean-Paul, the Siamese. And my boy, Calvin, who came to live with us after she died. Calvin was her favorite cat, and as long as he is here, I feel her nearby.

Unfortunately, she and Mom both shared ovarian cancer, and that is what she died from seven years ago. I was lucky to have someone in my life like Foof, and she will be forever missed!






3 comments:

Darlene said...

She definitely sounds like she was a cool Aunt! I have always thought it would be so neat to have a twin. I'm sure you miss her a lot but what great memories you have of her.♥

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog about Foo Foo. I like yor header about her as well. What a neat woman. You and your mom were lucky to have had her in your lives.
barb

Mikki said...

She sounds like a wonderful person and a fabulous aunt. I'm so glad for you that you had her in your life. I don't think any of my aunts were ever that close to me, what a wonderful gift for you! Sweet post Laura!!