Thursday, July 2, 2009

When I Grow Up . . . . .

When I grow up I want to be like Helen from Wisconsin. She was the lady that sat next to me on the plane on our trip back home.

Helen is 87 - she looks 70 - she acts 60! She has had some tragedy in her life - losing her husband in an automobile accident when they were in their 50's. And she doesn't drive - never has and never will! You could imagine that a woman her age would be ready to sit in a rocking chair and talk to old people. This is what keeps Helen young at heart:

1. She was coming home from a week's visit with her daughter in Utah because she has a foreign exchange student coming to live with her. She has participated in this program for many years. The students come to learn English at a school in her town. She lives on the bus line, so she goes with them the first day and shows them the ropes. She loves to fix their meals and finds ways to communicate with them until their English improves.

2. She can't wait until August because she is going on a cruise with her sister and nieces. She was disappointed they had to wait until August because August is so far away!

3. She goes to the Moose Lodge to play euchre. She is lucky at euchre and enjoys playing with her friends.

4. She volunteers at her church.

This sweet lady was so full of life, and listening to her made me wish that Ted's Mom was more active. Do you know any older people like Helen?

7 comments:

A New England Life said...

I don't know if I know anyone just like Helen but I've worked for a lot of seniors who are very active. Some of them are on the go almost everyday. MUCH more than my inlaws who go shopping, work in the garden, and watch tv, that's about it.

My next door neighbors mom must be in her 80's and she is on the go a lot as she loves to travel with her friends. She even goes over seas and stays in hostels which aren't always that nice but they are inexpensive.

Helen is a woman who surely has made a wonderful impression on many other people besides you Laura!

Sharon

Melissa and Emmitt said...

oh what a beautiful post laura!
i want to be just like that too. i love all the things you appreciate about helen.
xoxoxo
melissa

T said...

This is such a nice post Laura!

Our founder of our dog club sadly passed away last year at 92. I always said I hope to be like her. She was so very active up to the very day she passed. She continued to train and compete in dog shows, host our many dog functions,traveled throughout the year with her dog and visiting family. She continued with Church functions, volunteer work, in so many different areas.

I would like to think keeping active physically and mentally keeps you young.

Helen sounds like a wonderful woman.

Nancy and the fatties said...

Laura, isn't it wonderful to connect with someone even for a short time who makes such an impression! One of my best friends is my high school English teacher. She broke her leg and had a double mastectomy and a hysterectomy last year. A few months ago she bought herself a treadmill and she is really doing great. She travels, goes fishing with friends, and drives herself all over Texas. I adore her. When I grow up I want to have her attitude!
xxooo hugs to you and the kittyhelpers...

Shauna said...

Hope you have a great 4th of July weekend :)

Pegasus said...

My dad was much like that...never stopped. He traveled constantly and was always learning new things.

These types of folks are definite inspirations!!

Lorie said...

To bad you did not get a pic. She sounds PRECIOUS! Angels among us to be sure.