Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dining Room Redo

I thought I'd share with you some of the other changes I made in the dining room in addition to the paint job.

The windows had burgandy colored valances, and I was tired of them, so I went to Hancock Fabrics and found some beautiful fabric on sale. I bought three yards, cut it in half, sewed a small hem on the ends, and draped it over new rods. I'm loving it!

I can't have any of the fabric hanging down low enough where it would tempt a cat, and believe me, anything flowy that hangs is nothing but a toy for a white boy named Newman!


I've also collected some pretty vintage hankies, and I thought it would be cool to frame them. Michaels had floating frames in just the right size. A floating frame is just glass and allows your wall to show through. I chose four hankies that had grays, pinks, and some yellow in them. The black frames look nice because I have a black corner cabinet that you can barely see in the above photo, and I also have a black antique trunk against the other wall.

I have a few more items to hang, but I'm really pleased with the new look! My other project is to recover the dining room chairs. I found a fabric I love, and that project will begin after we get back from vacation!



6 comments:

Lorrie said...

Hi Laura, I love your dining room makeover! It looks lovely. I have a cat named Oliver who gets into all kinds of mischief in my house with anything that hangs down!

Darlene said...

I LOVE how your dining room looks. The new curtains look so summery and I LOVE the framed vintage hankies! Hope you are having a great week.♥

Mikki said...

Looks lovely Laura!!!! (don't you love my alliteration?)
Great job on the new curtains. They look great!
I love your moldings too, what a beautiful room!

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi laura!
oh i love everything you did!
xoxo
m

Gundo vom Haus Sevens said...

Looks terrific! Great Job!

Jane

A New England Life said...

I have to say Laura, I wasn't so sure about the colors at first but my gosh everything looks beautiful! It really does! Such a change from the burgundy paint and border. Newman must be pleased with his handy work.