Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Herd of Horses!

Chicago had cows. Seattle had pigs. We have horses. Back in 2004, Louisville had an event called Gallapalooza. There were over 200 horses around town - decorated by artists and a fundraiser to support various charities. Each one is unique and there were several horse poses.

It was so successful that the city decided to have another round of Gallapalooza! For a $1 raffle ticket, people can take a chance on owning one of the horses! As I drive around town, I've been seeing some of the new horses, and I thought it would be fun to feature them occasionally on my blog.

This horse is in front of one of our Walmart stores. The title of this horse is called Race to Recycle and the artist is named Rose Flowers (I'm not making this stuff up!).

Does your town do anything like this? I hope you enjoy these horses from the Bluegrass!


13 comments:

Starchy said...

We had really cool painted bears a few years back. They were for charity, too, I believe. Love the horses!

Mikki said...

No, I don't think Vegas does anything like this, I suppose it would have to be desert tortoise's or something if they did. :o)

Did you ever find the other Mikki?

Pegasus said...

I saw that Walmart one yesterday...Had to get close to see all the goodies on it. I thought this was one of the best!
:0)
Peggy

Snowdrops said...

You need to go see our full sized buffalo too !!!

http://www.spiritofthebuffalo.org/

Laura said...

Snowdrops - those buffalo are very cool!

Sandy said...

DC has done it twice: Party Animals was first and there were adorable elephants and donkeys all around town.

The second time was -- well, what else -- pandas!

I love these kinds of things. They can really brighten your day.

Darlene said...

That is neat, I love the horse theme!! We have painted buffalo around our area. I need to do a post about them!

Anonymous said...

Last week "Black Jack" was in Jefferson Square. It has a portrait of John of Kennedy. It was stunning with thousands of small flags in the ground. PG

nikkicrumpet said...

I think that's a cool thing to do. There is a town in Utah called Springville...it has a small art museum. And all around town in the shopping district they have scattered gorgeous bronze statues. I love driving through town just to admire the art.

T said...

Love the horses. That is such a cool idea.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi laura!
oh how fun!
i love these horses! thank you so much for sharing them with us!
i love seeing your corner of the world!

Saucy said...

I think you're quite lucky. When our city jumped on the theme statue bandwagon, the event was sponsored by a local hog slaughterhouse. The statues were gigantic, cartoonish pigs. It would have been way cooler if they had at least been realistically shaped but they were really idiotic looking. Your horses look nice. Enjoy the parade!

cpknancy said...

My hometown did dinosaurs last year....And my sister got to go to the auction for the Chicago cows! She said seeing them was a treat and hearing the prices they brought an experience!!