Saturday, May 2, 2009

Derby Day in the 'Ville!

Happy Kentucky Derby Day! Ted and I went to the newly refurbished Executive Inn West, which is now being called the Crowne Plaza, for brunch this afternoon. A group of 20+ friends of my parents do this every Derby Day, and we have been going for several years.

They had us set up in a room all by ourselves which was nice because after brunch, we had a Derby trivia contest that I had put together.

There was a lot of activity in the hotel - the Dulcimer Society was playing in the lobby, and people were getting ready to head to the track. The only celebrity I saw was Bob Baffert - the trainer for Pioneer of the Nile.

One of the conference rooms in the hotel was set up as a hat boutique! Lots of ladies were checking them out and making last minute purchases!

I ususally wear a hat to the brunch, but the few I have didn't match what I was wearing.

I hope you pick the winner today! My mom was always a fan of gray horses, so I'll be picking Dunkirk in the big race!


5 comments:

Mikki said...

Pretty hats, sounds like the perfect excuse to have bought a new one. :o)

Nancy and the fatties said...

Awww, you should have worn a hat anyway Laura! And white gloves.

I met Bob once at the Del Mar racetrack. 'Nuff said on that topic.

Cocker Spaniel Girls said...

What a nice tradition Laura, all the hats are just beautiful,Hard to pick just one!

One Wired Woman said...

Oh fun!! I would've worn the biggest hat I could find!!

The Muse said...

Gosh what a nice looking couple you two are ! It sounds like you had a great time!!