Saturday, April 11, 2009

Springtime at the Cemetery

Ted and I went to the cemetery today to put flowers at three gravesites. There is something beautiful and peaceful about being in a cemetery when it is a gorgeous day like today. The pear tree blooms are finished, but the dogwood blooms are starting to open. These tulips were the prettiest shade of red.

These pink blooms are my favorite!

The bees like them too!

We put flowers at Mom and Dad's grave, and then walked a short distance to my aunt's grave (Mom's twin sister). A short drive from there is where my grandparent's are buried (Mom's parents). It is still so sad to think about the family that shared my entire life, and now they are gone.

This statue of St. Francis of Assisi is close to my grandparents' gravesite. It seems appropriate that the patron saint of animals would be watching over them since they are the ones that instilled the love of pets in my Mom and aunt.


I hope you all have a blessed Easter ~




4 comments:

Rebecca & Twixy said...

Beautiful pictures, Laura. Thought your post was really nice, too.

Hope you, your husband, and the fur-kids have a nice easter time.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and nice sentiment. It was a pretty day.
Have a nice Easter. BB

A New England Life said...

You are right about it being so sad that they are all gone. I feel for you Laura. I'm glad it was a nice day to go lay flowers on the graves.

I know your parents would be very proud of the legacy they left behind.

Hugs,
Sharon

Cocker Spaniel Girls said...

Laura, Beautiful pictures of your visit. It is so difficult to loose family but I can see the beautiful gift they instilled in you.

William Wordsworth's poem "Ode on Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood":

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind...