Friday, April 24, 2009

So Bright You Need Shades!

Spring in Louisville lasts one day. Today is the day!

It's the perfect day where the sun is shining, the blooms are budding, there is a slight breeze, and no humidity. None of those factors all combine again until next spring. So, I decided to spend most of the day outside - putting down some mulch, and cutting the grass. I have the easy grass cutting duties - on a riding lawn mower at the back of our property - nice and flat!

Here is one of the areas of the yard that we don't cut until all the wildflowers stop blooming. There is usually a mix of purple and yellow, and I love them!

As I was coming back up the hill, I saw a very dirty Mr. Tommy Turtle. He came out of his winter funk to enjoy the day, but by the time I got the camera, I couldn't find him anymore. Turtles move a lot faster than you think!

And if you're ever looking for the perfect plant to grow that

1. spreads and gets totally out of control
2. is deer resistant
3. and smells yummy clean and fresh

then plant lemon balm! I can't seem to get rid of it! I had some in my front flower bed, but it took over the entire bed, so I planted it down the hill. I must remember that I have it when I do some cooking this summer. Who am I kidding . . . . . I don't cook! I must remember to give some to Doreen when she cooks!


Apparently deer don't like daffodils either because they are all still standing!

This is our neglected garden and flower beds. The chicken wire completely disintegrated, so we have that fun ahead of us. We'll wait until it's 90 degrees, 110 degrees with the humidity, and flies biting before we start that project!

I needed my shades today not because the sun was shining so beautifully, but because I had on shorts, and my white legs almost blinded me! Have a fun weekend!

6 comments:

A New England Life said...

I hear you on the legs thing! Time to break out the self tanner. Okay, I broke it out a couple weeks ago, but my legs are sorely lacking any pigment.

Won't it be wonderful the first time I smell cut grass! I'm thinking Monday or Tuesday after all our warm weather!

How nice you were able to see Mr. Turtle! Guess he was in a hurry! lol!

Sharon

Jane said...

What a great post and a great blog. I will be back to visit you again soon!

Jane

Doreen said...

Lemon Balm -- I feel honored. I need to do some research. Surely it would be good in soup -- maybe a thai soup. I will make you some. Your yard is always so great looking and is so peaceful. Now for that tan -- I suggest the self tanner.

Mikki said...

Pretty pics Laura. Your last comment cracked me up. I could probably give you some serious competition on the white legs though.

nikkicrumpet said...

I love the picture of the wooded area with the wild flowers...how pretty! And I'm with you on the flower beds...ours are a mess. But then we're still waiting for good weather to clean them up...or that's my excuse hehe

Shauna said...

Hope you are having a super weekend! ♥ HUGS ♥