Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Keeping My Promise!

Ted and I made a promise to each other . . . . . . to try to be healthy and stick around for each other for a long time. I'm not talking about the promise we made when we got married because who even remembers most of what you said or did on that day?

I'm talking about the promise we made that when we turned the magical age of 50, we would do the screenings that can help prevent cancer from starting or spreading.

After all, we go to the dentist twice a year . . . . . we get flu shots . . . . . I get an annual mammogram . . . . . I take allergy shots . . . . . we get our eyes examined . . . . . . why should it stop there?

I am a firm believer in taking charge of your health and doing everything you can to prevent problems. I'm not one of those who would rather not know until it's too late! I've seen what cancer does to a family, and it is not something you ever want to experience!

So, I promised Ted that if he got a colonoscopy when he turned 50, that I would do the same when I turned 50.

He fulfilled his promise several years ago.

And yes, I'm only two years late on keeping the promise. I can forgive myself because those two years were like a whirlwind in our lives. And just when did I turn 50? I'm sure that I'm still in my 40's!

As I was driving home from getting my hair layered yesterday (and yes, Ted liked it, and yes, I figured out how to make it look the same today), I saw a billboard that read:

98% of colon cancers can be cured!

Well, the truth is they can be cured if they are caught in time. Katie Couric knows all too well what happens when they aren't caught in time.

So, even though this isn't a subject anybody likes talking about, I hope you will add getting a colonoscopy to your list of things to do when you turn 50! The good news is you only have to get one every 10 years - if only the gynocologist visit was like that!

I'll be getting mine on Friday.


9 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

My Mom was actually getting one today! I got my first ever mammogram last week. I was so scared because of all the stories I'd heard. Come to find out it wasn't bad at all! And it takes a load off your mind when you know you're healthy. Good advice for all of us..thanks for posting this. And good luck with your colonoscopy!

Shauna said...

L♥ve and Hugs to You :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck. A friend of mine is having colon surgery tomorrow. And another friend (the first friend from high school to pass away) died from the disease just two weeks ago. And he was a doctor. I haven't reached 50 yet, but this is certainly on my list.

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Laura with your colonoscopy. If you have any questions - Brittany is an expert on this! Poor thing has no colon but still has to have a scope done every year just to make sure everything is still good! From what she has told me and what I have seen her go through - the prep is worse than the actual test!
Karen

~Vintage Nina~ said...

What a beutiful message! You have a beautiful marriage. Thanks for sharing. I know a few survivors myself......so it is true you can be cured! Hope you are well! Post a photo of your new hair.......I would love to see it!
HAPPY DAY!!!
~Nina

BoogersCat said...

What a fantastic promise to each other. Glad it only needs to be done every 10 years. Hugs!

Cocker Spaniel Girls said...

Good luck Laura hope everything goes well tomorrow. Know your probably fasting today so hopefully it will soon be all over and you will have a good report.

Starchy said...

Good for you! Somebody told me it's the best nap you'll ever have!

A New England Life said...

Since I already commented on the colonoscopy .... you got your hair layered???? Holy moly Laura! I'd love to see it! I'll bet it's softer looking than the one length bob you had.

It's hard to keep up with all the bodily maintenance, isn't it? And it seems like they come up with something new every year!