Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hosta La Vista, Baby!

Every spring, there is one weekend where the weather cooperates, and if we don't get mulch down, the hostas are completely open and then the job is twice as difficult. Today was the day.

I can grow hostas! They like shade, and we've divided these quite a few times - so there are many hosta beds around our property. The ones outside our fence become a stalk garden because the deer love to eat the tender shoots and leaves, and then all I'm left with are the stalks!

And look what I found under our deck! This one is in the backyard where the dog goes, so I'll have to keep a close eye if baby birds appear in it!

And you're probably wondering why we're not downtown celebrating the Kentucky Derby Festival kick-off event - Thunder Over Louisville. An air show started this afternoon, and then the largest annual fireworks display in North America begins around 9 p.m.

We don't go because 750,000 people are there! Can you even imagine?




5 comments:

Doreen said...

Word has gotten out that your house is the best place for bird nests. You're a lttle shy on the the number of people at "thunder" this year. Record breaking crowd -- over 800,000 people. Now that the show is over they will all be trying to get home at one time. Tempers will be short b/c the kids are tired and it's been a long hot day. Beautiful show this year. D

Doreen said...

You are right on with the people estimates - 750,000. I heard wrong info but what's 50,000? It's still a lot of people.
D

Mikki said...

That's a whole lot of people. I'd be staying home too. I would love to see more pics of your property. Seems like it must be absolutely gorgeous, especially once all the flowers start blooming.

Mikki said...

I'm assuming of course that a hosta is a flowering plant. is it?

Darlene said...

I LOVE hosta's. I plan on putting some down the side of our home where it is shady. I would have stayed away from that crowd also!