Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Go Orange!

April is the ASPCA's Prevention of Animal Cruelty month, and in conjunction with that, today is Go Orange for Animals day!

Calvin is my orange boy. I'm sure many years ago, he probably came from an abusive situation because he was a stray left to fend for himself. He was taken in by my aunt, and when she passed away, I rescued him from the kill shelter that her husband took him to.

Abusing animals is probably my biggest pet peeve. They offer love, compansionship, laughter, and apparently help you live longer! They ask for so little in return. There is no excuse for abuse - ever!

You can take the pledge on the ASPCA's website to fight animal cruelty. As with most things, education is the key. Children who abuse animals often end up abusing people, and getting into other trouble later in life. Don't let your children take out their troubles on a helpless animal.

Don't chain a dog in a backyard! Dogs are pack animals, and need to be around people. If your dog is chained all day in a yard, then you don't deserve to have a dog.

Remember that when you get that cute little kitty, or the adorable sweet puppy, or the bunny for Easter - pets are a commitment - they take time, work, energy, money - for their entire lifetime - not just when they are little and playful.

So, Go Orange today in some way and kiss your cat, or hug your dog! They will love you for it!

6 comments:

Mikki said...

You are so right. Animals are just the purest spirits I think, and deserve only love and respect.

Beth said...

Well said, my friend! Personally, I believe people gain access to heaven based on how they treat animals, children, and the elderly.

Darlene said...

I am SOOOOO WITH you on this and you couldn't have said it better!!!! We LOVE and cherish our animals and can't understand people that don't (even when they are being wild and naughty)! They really don't ask for much. A nice place to sleep, food/water and some loving...that is it and they give so much LOVE back in return. Great post!

texasdaisey said...

I so agree with you. I love critters too. I always have 10 or more cats around and I raise chickens, ducks, parakeets, dove, zebra finches, goats, and any other critter that someone needs to give to a good home. If I can't keep them then I always find them a happy good home. Thanks for your work in that area too. I love your orange kitty. He is so sweet.
Debbie

Cocker Spaniel Girls said...

ahh Calvin you are one beautiful and loved Kitty!
Oh how true Laura they ask for so little in return. This poem says it all for any pet.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-Unknown

A New England Life said...

Your such a good mawmee to all your babies Laura. They are so fortunate to have a loving, stable, warm home. Please give Calvin a kiss for Luna and I.