Monday, March 23, 2009

The Big Kahuna

About twice a year I'm lucky enough to look out the window and see a Pileated Woodpecker in our backyard.

This morning was one of those times. I made a mad dash upstairs to get the camera, and realized I was going to need the zoom lens. I just knew by the time I changed lenses, Woody would be gone.

But he was still there - eating lunch at the dead, rotted stump!

I decided to take a chance and go out on the deck. Very quietly, I opened the door, and he kept pounding away looking for goodies.

My camera was acting funny - of course, it does that when you only have a quick chance to get a good picture - and several of the better shots ended up fuzzy. I'll blame that on letting Ted use the camera yesterday. He can manage to change settings without even realizing what he is doing!

It is neat to see these birds in flight - they are huge! Do you ever see pileated woodpeckers in your area?


7 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

wow laura!
he is beautiful!
thank you for sharing him!
:) melissa

Doreen said...

Oh my Gosh -- that bird is beautiful. Don't ya just love to watch birds?

D

A New England Life said...

Good for you Laura! They are such awesome birds! I'll bet he'll even be back sometime soon to peck some more at that stump.

I photographed one just a couple weeks ago, but they are around here all the time. I never really knew it until I started looking for them and listening to their call. They still leave me in awe each time I see one!

Dave Doog said...

You have some fantastic photos on here, I especially like taking bird photos. What camera eqipment do yo use?

Laura said...

Hi Dave! I use a Canon Rebel XT.

Pegasus said...

VERY cool!! Would love to see one in flight...don't think I ever have.
:0)
Peggy

nikkicrumpet said...

That is so flipping cool!!! I've always hoped one would visit us some day. We get a few species of woodpeckers here...and I can lure them to my feeders now and then...but I've never seen this species before up close. They are HUGE and so pretty. Woodpeckers are the coolest!