Wednesday, February 4, 2009

All the Little Birdies

When I realized last week that we had two huge bags of birdseed in the garage, I knew I had to brave the cold and get the feeders filled up. Within ten minutes the birds started appearing. They must have seed radar because I had not seen a bird anywhere prior to putting it out.

Be sure to click on the pictures to see them full sized, and realize that I was taking these through dirty windows. My husband refused to climb on a ladder and clean the windows so I could get better pictures!

The male cardinals were so spectacular against the snow!

This is a female cardinal and a downy woodpecker in the back - isn't he cute!

This is a nuthatch. They are fun to watch because they spend a lot of time on the trees looking for food in the crevices of the bark.



At one point we had a cardinal convention going on. The birdfeeder was hardly used - they like eating from the ground.

The little guy on the left is a chickadee.
This sweet female cardinal looked so cold!

These pictures were all taken from my sunroom using the zoom lens. Tomorrow I've got more to show from the front window - the cats sat there for hours watching birds that were so close, yet so far away!


8 comments:

Doreen said...

Oh My Gosh. What a wonderful sight. I love all the cardinals on the ground. I was trying to come up with a U of L funny but...
D

Shauna said...

I l♥ve the pictures! Thanks for sharing! ♥ Hugs!

Liz said...

My goodness, these photos are STUNNING! I think you've got next year's Christmas card photo if you wanted it!

blazedanielle said...

These are such gorgeous photos! I especially love the red cardinal! Soo pretty against the snow!

A New England Life said...

Great pictures Laura! See, something good came out of that ice storm after all : )

I cannot believe how many cardinals you have!!! It's obscene! I counted at least 34. And the shot of the Downy Woodpecker with it's wings open is so cute. They are all wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Pegasus said...

Wow! Beautiful little birds!! We got lots of birds at my bird feeder but no woodpeckers! We got nuthatches and chickadees and purple finches. I guess I need trees to get the woodpeckers! Can't wait to see tomorrow's flock!
:0)
Peggy

Melissa and Emmitt said...

wowo laura!
your photos are fabulous!
i would be glued to the window all day! i wish my feeders looked like that!
xoxoxo
melissa

Nancy and the fatties said...

Oh Laura, these are beautiful. I could look at them for hours. May I have permission to paint one of your cardinal photos?