Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Two Years Ago

Two years ago tonight I lost my Dad. In some ways, it seems like only yesterday. So much has happened in those two years.

We had lost Ted's Dad the previous month. We both agreed that our Moms were probably better able to handle being alone rather than our Dads. And now all we have left is Ted's Mom.

Only Dad's age was 85 - you would have never thought he was that old. I told you he had two favorite sayings. The one I remember and use the most is the phrase on his hat.

A pint's a pound the world around!

You'd be surprised how many times you think about that phrase when you're trying to remember how many ounces in something, or what does a something measure.

My Dad was the Go-To guy in the neighborhood. Anytime someone had a plumbing problem, needed a tool, or wanted something fixed, he was the one they called. Since his death, there have been so many times that Ted and I would think about calling him for advice on one thing or another.

There were times growing up that he was my biggest enemy, but as an adult, he was my biggest fan. He loved woodworking, chatting on the computer with his buddies, U of L sports, his Oh Hell card group, and animals (despite acting like he didn't!). He adored my Mom . . . . . . . adored her. . . . . . . put her on a pedestal . . . . . . did anything and everything for her. I think that is partly why she only lasted seven months without him.

He had a small stroke with few side effects. In doing testing in the hospital, they discovered he had pancreatic cancer. The cancer had already traveled to the liver. He spent some time in a rehab facility, and all he wanted to do was go home. We finally got him home, and one week later he died. He survived about two months after diagnosis. We were with him when it happened. It was the first time I've actually witnessed someone dying. It's something you never forget. And then we did it all over again seven months later. And I'll never forget that either.



13 comments:

Pegasus said...

Oh Laura, I can honestly say that I know how you're feeling. You think about him every day and you remember such great things! Keep thinking of all those great memories and keep him shining inside of you!
:0)
Peggy
*sniff*

Doreen said...

My heart aches for you. I know what your Dad meant to you. You were the apple of his eye. Cherish the good times.

D

A New England Life said...

Hard to believe it's been 2 years. I can still remember all you went through back then. It was so much, I don't know how you made it through Laura.

I love that picture of your parents. Hopefully you have it in a frame. You were so fortunate to have such great parents. They've made you the generous, loving, intelligent, giving person you are today : )

Hugs,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Laura it's been 16 years since my Dad passed and a day doesn't go by that something doesn't happen or someone doesn't say something to remind me of him. We have to remember the good times and cherish those memories. I pray that God will give you peace.
Karen

Vanessa said...

So sorry for your loss. I know it is hard to lose someone. Just know that you will see him again and it will be a wonderful thing!

BoogersCat said...

One day you will be reunited with your mom and dad. You're in my thoughts *hugs*

Saucy said...

What a sweet tribute. You must miss him terribly.

Saucy said...

What a sweet tribute. You must miss him terribly.

Mikki said...

This is a touching tribute Laura. I'm not looking forward to the day when I lose either of my parents. I just can't imagine the loss. My thoughts are with you.

Mikki said...

Laura, I hope you guys are ok over there. I can't believe I just read that it might be mid February before power is restored to parts of Kentucky. I hope we'll be hearing from you well before then. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and you're whole state for that matter.

Starchy said...

What a sweet, touching tribute. Your parents were so cute, and it sounds like he was a load of fun. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Tweedles -- that's me... said...

Hi Laura
I so understand your loss. I know the aching that goes on from the hole that was made in your heart.
I have lost both my parents too. I carry the memories. No one can take that away. Keep on cherrishing the memories. My heart feels sad for you.
tweedles

amilyn said...

I lost my father to the same kind of cancer. Our fathers sound very similar... having phrases that they used a lot, woodworking, being the go-to guy. ((((hugs))))