Saturday, January 3, 2009

Luck Be A Ladybug!

As I was confidently sewing last night, I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. And, here is what I saw - a coccinellidae - yeah, I had to look that up - who keeps that knowledge in their head? The cute little ladybug, also known as a lady beetle, lady clock, lady cow, or lady fly.

Don't ever smash one of these babies because they let out a stink even greater than Newman can produce! I took her to the bathroom, and let her fly free out the window.

They are considered good luck if they land on you, or on your sewing table. You are supposed to make a wish and let them go.

I forgot to make a wish, but today when we met Red Hot Mama and her hubby and daughter for lunch and a movie, look what RH Mama gave me!

And don't tell her younger daughter that it came from her stash of stuff! Now, that is what I call a lucky day - my very own vintage Donny button!

I knew it was gonna be a good year!

6 comments:

A New England Life said...

You big Donny fan, now there is something to be excited about! lol!

We had two ladybugs as pets about a month or so ago (Elise's idea). I had planned on keeping them until Spring but then one got loose (never found her) and we set the other free on a warm day. They were just 2 more things I had to take care of, but they sure were cute. We should have made a wish!

Darlene said...

Oh Donny was my favorite!! My mom even took us to an Osmond concert. My friends and I were screaming Donny! Donny! Donny! He was just dreamy!

I love when the ladybugs come out. They are so pretty.

The Muse said...

Osmond? oh i recall those days!

in spring we are covered with litlle red specks...ah well the life of country living LOL

BoogersCat said...

Never knew ladybugs smell when one squishes them (too cute to smoosh!) Thanks for the scrapbook link!

Nancy and the fatties said...

Were you sewing confidently on your bran spankin new sewing machine Laura!? I think your little visitor was a sign of good things to come. I had no idea these were stinkers when you squish them...you just have all sorts of good info in your noggin!
xxxooo

Laura said...

Nancy - the info on the stinky ladybugs doesn't come from my noggin, it comes straight from my nose! LOL!