Monday, December 22, 2008

The Unexpected Gifts

Do you give out any unexpected gifts? I've enjoyed finding treasures to make around blogland for some of my unexpected gifts this year.

I made a bunch of these cute purse kleenex holders that I saw over at Simply Me! My Red Hots each got one, and so did the Bunco gals, and a few other friends.

And these super easy yummy treats from Thrify Decor Chick were made for some of my neighbors and the staff at the vet's office. Scroll down when you visit her blog and look for the pretzel/Hershey's kiss/M&M cookie/candy yum yum! The new candy cane Hershey's kiss makes these so pretty!

And here is my yearly tradition - Lemon Blueberry Poppyseed Bread! I usually give a loaf to my mail lady, the three vets, my hairstylist, Ted's hairstylist, and a loaf for us too!

1 package Duncan Hines Bakery Style Blueberry with Crumb Topping Muffin Mix
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 egg
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel

Drizzle
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 8 x 4 inch loaf pan (or 3-4 small loaf pans). Rinse blueberries with cold water and drain. Empty muffin mix into bowl and add poppy seeds, stirring to combine and break up any lumps. Add egg and water and stir until moistened, about 50 strokes. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel. Pour into pan and sprinkle topping from packet over batter.

Bake 350 degrees for 57-62 minutes (~45-50 minutes for small loaf pans), or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen loaf from pan. Lay foil over top when removing to keep topping intact. Invert onto cooling rack, right side up. Cool completely.

For drizzle, combine confectioners sugar and lemon juice in small bowl. Stir until smooth, and drizzle over loaf.

Enjoy!

Besides family, friends, and teachers, do you give out any other unexpected gifts?

3 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi laura!
oh how wonderful! fred is going to make that cake tonight. thank you for the recipe!
xo
melissa

BoogersCat said...

Yum! Those look simple and yummy! I'm always up for a new recipe!

A New England Life said...

And take it from me ... it's delicious!!! I need to make one of those cakes again. The girls devour it in one night! Oink!