Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Rest in Peace Sweet Spunky

My sweet Spunk lost his battle with cancer today. We were lucky to have him in our home for over a year. He lived with my parents since he was young kitty. Spunky was 13 years old - very affectionate, loved sitting on your lap, and had a personality that fit his name. He lives in my heart forever.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...


13 comments:

A New England Life said...

I'm so sorry Laura. It had to be heart wrenching to let Spunky go this morning. I hope your mom was there to meet him at the Bridge in a joyous reunion.

Love,
Sharon

fallen.2007 said...

I am so sorry Laura.My Heart is with you. HUGS

April

Curly said...

Our family sends heartfelt condolences to you in your loss. R.I.P., sweet Spunky.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

dear laura

i am so sorry for your loss. what a beautiful kitty.

i am thinking of you.

big hugs from me and emmitt

xoxoxoxox

Nancy and the fatties said...

Laura, I'm so sorry you lost Spunky. You have yet another special angel watching over you.
sending hugs to you

Mikki said...

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry you lost your sweet kitty.
I'm sending my thoughts and prayers your way for comfort.
I love that poem, I've heard it once before when my boss lost her cat a few years ago. She found that poem written on a paper when she went to check her mail the morning after she lost her kitty. I believe it's words are true, and your sweet Spunky is waiting for you.

Sandy said...

My deepest sympathies, Laura.

Findlay Furs said...

We are furry sad that Spunky had to leave... Purrs fur you & the furmily.
love the Findlay Furs

Starchy said...

I'm so sorry that Spunky had to leave your lap, but I know you're finding lots of comfort in knowing he's with your mom again.

Boogers, Hondo, Fido from Catster said...

I'm so sorry Laura for your family's loss. We send our deepest sympathy for you during this difficult time.

Pegasus said...

So sad...my heart goes out to you!
Peggy

quiltmaven said...

May all of the happy memories you shared with Spunky, now comfort you at this time. They are just here with us far too short a time.

Sally

Nancy and the fatties said...

Just to let you know I am thinking about you, Laura, and your little angel Spunky kitty and sweet Autumn.
love and hugs...