Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Eating Below the Paper is Okay!

Are you a worrier? I think we all worry about stuff - most of the stuff is nothing to worry about, or nothing we can really do to change it. My mother-in-law has taken worry to a whole new level. She is the Queen of the Worries - a worry wort in the worst way! Add her indecisiveness to the worrying, and it will make a problem-solver, decision-maker like me CRAZY in no time!

She always worries about what she is wearing and how she looks. Okay, I can accept that - most women wonder if what they have chosen to wear is the right choice for the event.

She worries about things most people would never think about:

Should she cut her trees down because the leaves blow over into the neighbor's yard?

Was my robe that I gave her to wear brand new, because she wouldn't want to be wearing something new of mine that I hadn't had a chance to wear.

When we stopped at McDonald's for an ice cream cone yesterday, she ate down to the paper that is wrapped around the cone, and asked me if it is okay to eat the cone below the paper? WHAT? Of course, I had already eaten mine, and I told her I wasn't dead yet from eating below the paper, so I thought it was safe to do!

This morning, she was awake and laying in bed for an hour having to go to the bathroom, but she was worried that flushing the toilet would wake us up!

And it goes on, and on, and on . . . . . . . .

If you are a Queen Worrier like her, here a couple of poems to live by:

For every ailment under the sun
There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it;
If there be none, never mind it.



God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.


Life is too short to spend time worrying!

8 comments:

Mikki said...

Aw! Bless her heart. Kind of funny and sad that she lay in bed for an hour having to go. Poor thing.

It could be worse I suppose--she could be completely INconsiderate.

A New England Life said...

Dang, the dreaded toilet flush! lol! Poor mom, she can't help herself and it's to late to change.

My Aunt is similar. When she was here visiting while my mom was sick, she thought up the craziest things to worry about that I would never think of. And I'M a worrier! lol!

Maybe you need to burn some Serenity candles or slip a Xanax in her drink. Just kidding!

Life is all about eating below the paper! I think that should be your new motto, Laura : )

Doreen said...

Laura,

I agree -- life is all about eating below the paper. Take a chance.

D

Laura said...

I think my new motto will be about eating below the paper - LOL! Thanks for the suggestion. And, yes, Sharon, I learned a long time ago that you can't teach parents anything - and I'm sure they felt the exact same way at some point in my upbringing!

Emily said...

OH NO!
this is the life that is my destiny.

I am such a worry wart, and it gets worse every year. Dang it!

One day i will be in a Dairy Queen and eat past the paper and have an anxiety attack.

Saucy said...

Thinking of that 80's song by Bobbie McFerrin, "Don't Worry, Be Happy"... xoxo

One Wired Woman said...

I tend to be a worry wart... but I've never had a problem flushing or eating below the paper. I hot or cold with worry... I'm either worrying about something or not giving a crap about something. Doesn't make sense. :)

~Jill :)

Pegasus said...

I just smiled through this whole post...but then I CAN smile though it all, she's not MY MIL! :0) You should smile too (although I think you're laughing hysterically on the inside!)
Peggy