Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's What I Do!

Everyone has a cause, and my passionate one happens to be animals. There are 3-4 million cats and dogs euthanized every year in the United States! That is a startling number, and hopefully you will do the right thing and get any pet you have spayed or neutered. It is the only way we will be able to reduce that number in the future, and it is the responsible thing to do!

Last Friday night as we were driving home, Ted saw what he thought was an opposum crossing the road. Meet the opposum - his name is Newman!

It took quite an effort and two days to catch him, and when I got him confined in the guest bathroom, I discovered he was bone thin, and full of fleas! He is flea-free now, had a vet visit, and got started on his shots.

He only weighs 1.08 lbs! He is so tiny, and was quite content to stay in the bathroom until today. He has been supervised every moment, and the other cats are mesmerized by him! I've never had a kitten before - they are quite active and fun to watch.

Our intention is to find him a loving home. As you can see on the right of my blog, we have six cats and one dog. Now, in my defense, three of the cats and the dog were my parents' pets. When they both passed away last year, I inherited them! I don't particularly like having this many cats, but you deal with what life gives you, and I could not in good conscience leave that kitten to die.

Of course, the longer we have him, the harder it will be to give him up. He is named after Paul Newman because of the beautiful blue eyes. Of course, when Ted says his name, it is more like the way Jerry said Newman on the Seinfeld show!

6 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi laura!
oh he is adorable! you have a big heart.
xo
melissa

Mikki said...

Oh, he is so cute. I wish I lived closer, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

A New England Life said...

I love, love, love him and wish he were mine! So do you! lol!

As Scooters mom told me, take plenty of pictures because he's going to darken as he get's older. Phin was all white except for his tail and face but not anymore. Now he's mostly grey.

By looking at Newmans pictures on Catster it appears that Newman is loving his new home! And how could he not?!
Kitty kisses to Newman from Auntie Sharon : )

Laura said...

He is quite a charmer with those eyes, and quite an explorer! I can't wait to see how his colors change. I sure hope the blue eyes stay!

Sandy said...

That's a cutie, Laura. Seriously. I bet those blue eyes stick.

Lorie said...

Newman could not have picked a better time to play "opposum"! LOL

I emailed this to a friend whose daughter was looking. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

You're mom is bursting with pride!
Love you!
Lorie