Tuesday, September 16, 2008

And God Said . . . . . . .

Two days, eight hours, thirty minutes . . . . . . . . . without

lights
air conditioning
hot water
hair dryer
curling iron
make-up mirror
computer
garage door opener
iron
dishwasher
washing machine
dryer

I was not meant to live like a pioneer woman! Who would have thought that hurricane Ike would make a visit to Louisville, Kentucky, and do more damage in this city than the tornado we had a long time ago? Trees down all over the city - blocking roads and bringing down power lines.

Luckily, our trees in the woods survived, but every nut and loose branch were scattered everywhere. Luckily, we have a generator, so we could keep the refrigerator running!

Bummer that I had a washing machine full of wet clothes. Bummer that they told us it could be up to two weeks before everyone's electricity gets back on! I feel very fortunate, and I hope all my friends have power soon! Two weeks is a long time to be walking around with a flashlight in hand and still reaching for the lightswitch. It is such a habit and I felt so stupid everytime I did it.

Today, my former Eagle Boy Scout husband decided to drag out the solar showers from his Canada fishing trip. They heated in the sun all day. We had just finished taking showers in the lukewarm water and the lights came back on!

Thank you God . . . . . . . . . and Louisville Gas & Electric . . . . . . . . .

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Laura,
I was so shocked to read about this from RA, because I hadn't even heard that it hit Louisville. So glad you're back on and I hope that all your friends are soon back in business, too.

A New England Life said...

Once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout! That Ted, he's a thrifty one ; )

Glad things are back to normal so you can get back to life as you know it!

Sharon

Mikki said...

Oh my! sorry you were without electricity. I hadn't heard either. Glad you're ok though, and it was just electricity. I can't imagine going without the ac though--ugh-bless your heart. Glad it's all back on now!

Laura said...

And it went off again today for 6 hours! It is hotter today, so I was dreading sleeping with no air, but luckily it came back on.