Thursday, August 14, 2008

Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me!

As the one year anniversary of Mom's passing comes on Saturday, I reflect back on what a terribly sad year it has been for me. I've often thought about that quote from the movie Thoroughly Modern Millie - Sad to be all alone in the world . . . . . . .

I'm certainly not all alone when it comes to my husband and friends, but it is a very strange feeling to be the end of the line for my family.

I never thought it was going to be this sad, or that I would shed so many tears. The most difficult part was packing up their 52 years of memories that now are contained in several containers in my basement. What do you do with all those pictures, slides, video tapes, and nicknacks when there is no one to pass them along to?

No brothers . . . . . . no sisters . . . . . . no nieces . . . . . . no nephews . . . . . no children . . . . . no grandchildren. Be grateful if you have a large family, or even a small family.

Ted and I were fortunate to be able to enjoy two vacations this year. And while we had a great time in Mexico and Alaska, it was still sad not being able to come home and share them with my parents like we had in the past.

They say, change is good. Losing your family in one year is definitely a change. It doesn't feel so good, but hopefully it will get better . . . . . . . . . . .

4 comments:

Nancy and the fatties said...

Laura, you also have your good friends, and we are here to cry with you, my dear. and send you comforting cyberhugs.
love always,
Nancy and the fatties

Doreen said...

Hey Red Hot Sistah,
I may not be your real sister but you know you can always count on me. I'll be wishing you sunny skies on Saturday and I hope you get a red bench sign that all is well.
Love,
D

Mikki said...

so sorry to hear about this. I hope you have comfort with you this week as you approach this difficult day. I can't even begin to imagine what life will be like some day when my mom passes.
*hugs* from me too!!

A New England Life said...

I'll be thinking of you Laura.

Hugs,
Sharon