Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lion, Otters, and Bears - Oh My Look At All the Creatures!

In Juneau, we did a whale watching excursion. We came across all these sea lions huddled together on a buoy. The guide said they have trouble getting them off of it when they need to clean it. I'd be hanging on for dear life too if I saw those Orca killer whales in the water!

In Sitka, we did an Otter/Sea Life excursion. The sea otters are nothing but adorable! We had to be very quiet around them, or they will dive under the water and hide. They eat fish, clams, shrimp, and this grassy stuff that grows in the water. I want a sea otter!

These are the only moose we saw. You can tell how much rain they get in Ketchikan - look at the green moss growing on his feet! And look at my hair - another reason I'd never live in Ketchikan - they get 152 inches of rain in a year!


This is as close as I got to a bear! They have brown and black bears in Alaska. I was hoping we would see one, but no luck!

I think Ted was a lumber jack in a former life!

Stuffed moose are cuter than the real thing! We were supposed to go ziplining to my death while in Ketchikan. Unfortunately, the winds were too strong, and they had to cancel the excursion. I really was disappointed because I was looking forward to it. We did a tour of the town instead.

Our day in Sitka was the best! After the sea otter excursion, we spent the day checking out the town. We came across Two Chicks and a Stick. What a cute booth - this is Amy. She is one of the chicks, and her sister is the other chick. Their Dad is a commercial fisherman, and they go out fishing with him. She was so interesting, and we had a nice chat. We ate lunch here - salmon on a stick with rice. She had a rub on the salmon, and it was delicious!

And last, but certainly not least, our Indonesian head waiter and assistant waiter from the formal dining room on the ship. They always had a smile on their face! The head waiter is Lucky - he is on the right, and his assistant is Andy. Andy and Lucky - now there are some Indonesion names for you!


5 comments:

Pegasus said...

Too bad about the zip lining being canceled...I really wanted to hear all about your experience! The otter excursion sounded like it was worth while too! I am starting to get antsy about Alaska!
:0)
Peggy

Laura said...

It is a beautiful place to visit, Peggy! You can't help but be in awe of the landscape and animals!

Jenn: said...

Oh, that otter wanted to come home with you. I could tell.

The stand looked like it had some tastey things. She had a gorgeous bouquet of flowers too I noticed.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Otters and manatees are my favorite sea critters.

Nancy and the fatties said...

Oh that little otter is adorable. almost as cute as a pug! Reminds me of the movie Ring of Bright Water.