Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Doctor, Doctor



How would you like hearing these words to wake you up in the morning:

I think I'm having a heart attack!

That was what Ted said to me early this morning. I flew out of bed, and didn't know what to do first. I asked the usual - where is the pain? do you have pain in your shoulder? should I get you an aspirin? - because that is what I've always heard - get someone who is having a heart attack an aspirin. DO YOU THINK WE HAVE A STUPID ASPIRIN IN THIS HOUSE??? Advil . . . . Tylenol . . . . . Imodium . . . . . every allergy medicine known to man . . . . . . no stinkin' aspirin!

So I ditched that idea, and after seeing that he was sweating profusely, and said he felt like he was going to pass out, I called 911. They got here quickly, and determined his blood pressure was super low.

Off he went to the hospital. I was not too far behind because, of course, I've got a dog that has to go out, and cats that were screaming for their breakfast. I'm not in the mood to have someone else die on me!! So, I'm pleading with God all the way to the hospital that I can't handle another death right now, please let him be okay.

We spent the next five hours doing the ER waiting game. EKG came back normal. X-ray came back normal. Blood work - to look for some enzymes that are elevated if you have had a heart attack - normal. Another round of let's check the blood one more time. Ooops, that blood didn't work??????? Let's stick you again in another place and get more blood. That came back normal.

So, we came home. He will see a cardiologist tomorrow for a stress test - just to make sure there are no heart problems. Want to know his biggest complaint? Having to pull those electrode thingies off his chest . . . . . . his hairy chest!

5 comments:

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Oh goodness!! I'm glad it wasn't a heart attack and I hope the cardiologist can ease your fears.

~ Sarah

Mikki said...

I am so glad he is ok. That is not a good way to start the day. How scary for you guys. Hope you get some answers tomorrow.

Sandy said...

Wow, Laura. How incredibly stressful! Good luck with the stress test today. My sister had to call the paramedics last year when she couldn't breathe (turned out to be related to the high blood pressure medication she had just started taking) and I remember racing over to the hospital to be there when she got there. Getting older sucks, doesn't it?

Pegasus said...

OMG - I had no idea. I came back from my trip and I had no message about this. So, when I checked in on your blog this morning I saw this! I am so glad everything is ok! How come there were no emails about this?! Phew!

Jenn: said...

I am so glad I already know the outcome of this or I would be faint after reading this post.
Thank God he is OK.