Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Treasures!

My Mom was the type that got rid of the good stuff (my Brownie uniform - given to a neighbor!), and kept the stuff that didn't really mean anything to anyone!

Several years ago, I decided to track down two of my favorite books from childhood that had been given away. I had these books memorized, and you'll notice that both books involved dress-up and animals. Hmmmm, a look into my future, perhaps?

The first book was My Dolly and Me. I loved the illustrations by Eloise Wilkins! I found it on Ebay and paid way more than the 25 cent price on the cover! What a nice surprise last weekend at the Peddler's Mall when I saw the Little Golden Book called The Little Book. One look at the cover, and I knew it was illustrated by Eloise Wilkins. I had previously found another book illustrated by her, so I've started a small collection!



My second favorite book was Henry Goes to a Party. Henry was a cartoon character from the newspaper. The yellow book was the one I had and I was able to find one on Ebay, but it is not in the best shape.

Guess where I found the green version? Yep, at that Peddler's Mall last weekend! It is in great condition, and I was so surprised to see that it included more storyline than the yellow book! Below you will see Henry getting ready for the party - those pages and a few more were never in my original.

Somehow, I feel more complete now that those books are in my life again! Funny how something so silly when you are little becomes more important when you get older!

8 comments:

Nancy and the fatties said...

Laura, this is great!! I've spent years trying to track down a couple of my favorite childhood books - What's For Lunch, Charlie? and Gordon the Goat. I will try ebay and see what happens... Thanks for sharing.

Jenn says: said...

You are not alone. When my best friend had a baby she said all she wanted from me was to find her personal favorite childhood book: Duck on a Truck.

I have been looking for one about a boy and a HUGE ball of string. I forgot the name.

I had The Little Book as a kid. We loved golden books!!

Sandy said...

I remember loving Dr. Seuss, any and all Dr. Seuss, but the book that stayed with me from childhood is one I read when I was in about the fourth grade: The Secret Garden. I loved,the wonderful pastel full page illustrations almost as much as I loved the story. That book started my long-term love affair with England and all things English. A few years ago, I became obsessed with finding a copy of the book with those same illustrations and I did. Turns out others must have loved it as much as I did because I found the very same edition in a bookstore.

Laura said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who treasures their childhood books!

Sharon said...

I thought it was just me! I have 5 books in my bureau drawers tucked under shirts from when I was a little girl. For a while I let the girls read them but they weren't taking care of them so I put them back in my drawers.

Last night I pulled them out after reading your post and Elise and I talked about them. My favorite, Cinderella (.85!), was her favorite also. Both of us loved the dress she wore to the Ball. My name is written inside of one of them too, and it's so cute : )

Thanks for the wonderful memories, Laura!

Nancy and the fatties said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a blog just on tracking down and identifying the best children's books? I studied children's literature and publishing in London and the BEST find of all was the Dr. Zargle books, about a monster named Dr. Zargle who teaches all the little monsters about the strange creatures called "humans." Wonderful illustrations, too. I bought the series for my niece but just like most things in her room, they disappeared long ago.
xxoo
n and the pees

Kristin said...

I love the books; the illustrations are great! My favorite books growing up are the ones my dad would read at bedtime. Books that he read as a kid too. The Five Little Peppers were the stories I loved the most. Now I need to dig through my parents basement so that I can read them to my kids!

elysecarey@yahoo.com said...

I am IN LOVE with Henry goes to a party!! and amazed that you too loved this book. Trying to find it, but don't want to pay a lot. So interesting that the green hard cover has more story lines than the other copy that I had. Hope that I get mine soon. Don't know what my mother did with it, but she passed away one year ago and still can't believe that she's not around.