Monday, July 21, 2008

A Time to Remember

Today would have been my parents' 53rd anniversary. They were married in Louisville in an unairconditioned church on what Dad said was the hottest day of the year! I think they both weighed 95 pounds on their wedding day!

Mom only had to spend one anniversary without Dad. I know that was a difficult day for her last year. She missed him so much, and he adored her like you wouldn't believe! It has been such an emotionally difficult year and a half for me. It's hard to believe they are no longer around, and I miss them.

Do you ever remember seeing those little keychains that had a kleidoscope like thing attached to it? You would hold it up to the light, look inside and see a photo. Mom had two of those and inside were pictures of their honeymoon in Florida!

We had a party for their 50th anniversary. I took that 1 inch by 1 inch photo and had it blown up. I cleaned up some of the scratches in photoshop and had the pictures framed. Here is one of them - I love it!

Happy 13th birthday today to Spunky! He was one of Mom's cats that I inherited when she passed away last August. His cancer which caused an eye to be removed two years ago has returned. I'm not sure how long he will be with us, but he gets lots of love and attention every day! Spunky can't wait until you sit down so he can jump in your lap and settle down for some snooze time

He is super healthy except for that dang cancer. He has had two chemo treatments to slow down the growth of the tumor. He is quite a trooper, and I love him to pieces!

6 comments:

Nancy and the fatties said...

Laura, these are wonderful memories or your dad and the beach photo is priceless. Now, Mister Spunky, he certainly fits his name. That tie is quite the shee shee poo poo affair for a cat of class and distinction. Hey, I think he just winked at me!!!
xxoo

judy (ca) said...

Laura, wishing you happy memories of your parents on their 53rd Anniversary. They are a great looking couple. Hugs...

Happy 13th Birthday to Spunky!!

Sharon said...

Maybe you and Ted can celebrate tonight in honor of your parents. Great pictures! Funny how young our parent look back when they first were married. Your mom has a beautiful smile and wedding dress. Your dad is so cute! My parents were married the same year as yours.

How on earth were you ever able to get that 1" picture? I have one of those also from Kings Dominion in Virginia and it still looks great after 20 something years.

Happy 13th Birthday to Spunky! He is a winker, isn't he Nancy!

Jenn: said...

I think you are right. Seeing your mom's lean, tan legs by the pool, she could not weigh more than a hummingbird! They were such an adorable couple.
Sweet Spunky, I am sure he will have a wonderful birthday with his loving family.

Laura said...

Jenn - her legs looked like that all throughout her life. She and her twin had great legs! Come to think of it, my Grandma had pretty good looking legs too!

Sharon said...

And if you had a daughter Laura, I'll bet she would say the same thing about you : )