Monday, June 23, 2008

Doe, a deer, a female deer . . . . . . .

Pulling in the driveway yesterday I was met by Ted, holding a pair of binoculars and telling me to be vewy, vewy quiet! He pointed to the backyard, and I peeked over the driveway wall to see these two!

Mommy's name is Hosta, and her baby is Nibbler. Put them together, and they create instant stalk gardens out of my hostas that are in the woods.

We have seen them the past couple of weeks. The first time we saw the baby, I thought it was a dog because he was so tiny.

On Saturday, Ted was taking grass clippings down to our garden. The garden is enclosed and when he opened the gate, the baby jumped up from the other side of the garden!

I don't know who was more startled! He found a way out through a hole in the chicken wire - the deer, not Ted! Mommy deer is smart by keeping the baby in the garden while she is out getting food.

I love the way the baby's tail is turned up in this picture. Isn't he adorable?

1 comment:

Jenn here: said...

Awww. Look at his lil spots! They are so cute.

Hehe, he looks like a Nibbler.